In 1982, some very far-sighted people founded the Opera League with the mission of bringing a resident opera company to Los Angeles. Given that today LA Opera is one of the top five opera companies in the United States, we certainly must applaud their efforts. The mission of the League is now to support our incredible opera company.
This year we:
- Held a membership drive that increased our membership to approximately 1000. Members are both joining and renewing memberships at a higher level.
- Honored Maestro Conlon at the Peter Hemmings Award Dinner. Thanks to our generous patrons, we raised the funds to completely underwrite this summer’s Opera Camp. In addition, we again received a grant from the Flora Thornton Foundation to underwrite the pre-performance lectures. In total, we raised enough funds to donate $181,000 to LA Opera.
- Continued to provide a venue for opera lovers to meet each other. We sponsored over 70 separate programs (such as the Peter Hemmings Award dinner, multiple seminars, musical events, gatherings in private homes, Opera Talks at Julienne’s, etc). We are delighted to see increasing numbers of young professionals joining the League.
- Stepped firmly into the 21st century with an updated website (operaleague.org) and brand new Facebook page.
- Volunteered as Community Educators, as taxi drivers to and from the airport, as chief cook and bottle washers for cast dinners, as file clerks at LA Opera, as organizers and sales people in the Boutique, in numerous education activities including our newsletter, BRAVO, our enhanced website and Facebook page, and of course in running those 70-plus programs for our members. We are well on our way to donating 27,000 hours of volunteer service again this year, tallied by 20% of our members.
In the year ahead, we will continue with our successful programs and:
- Develop a strategic plan to complement and support LA Opera’s plan;
- Expand our use of social media; and
- Collaborate with other groups that share our missions.
On a personal note, I have had a terrific team on the Opera League Board this year, and it has been a great pleasure for me to work with all of the staff of LA Opera as well. In addition, I have been privileged to meet so many League members. I have come to feel that the League is my extended family!
If you have a special skill to share, please let us know. We’d be glad to have your help! And we hope to see you at our upcoming events. We think you’ll love them!
The boutique has benefited from donations of books, CDs, and DVDs that members are no longer using. We welcome your donations!